Thursday, June 9, 2011

Turkey Ciabatta part 2

That's right.  I ate the same thing two days in a row.

Here's why:  When working on any new recipe/dish/ingredient, it takes time and experience until you get to know what you're doing, inside and out.  There's a ton of information to gather when you're new: What's the best way to wash and prepare the ingredient?  How does it respond to heat?  What other flavors are consistent with it?  You gain progress with each cooking attempt, but if you don't drive home the lessons with repetition, you'll lose what little you gained.  I remember the week of the potato, the month of the egg, the fortnight of the pasta.  Choose an ingredient and take the time to get to know it.  For me?  I'm resolved to tackle kale next.

And once you are comfortable with the mechanics and assembly, you can focus on balancing the tastes.  Today, I've added some chopped basil, used less turkey, and added more garlic.  By gradually introducing small ingredients, you can better detect what change, if any, they make, while ensuring that no single taste dominates.

Honestly, I'm simply duplicating combinations that I've seen in restaurants.  I try to scout dinner entrees for candidates that can be feasibly reproduced at home.  You can find an unlimited number of recipes online.  The map is there; all you have to do is follow it.

1 comment: