Monday, June 27, 2011

Steamers Farfalle

After a failed attempt to make a clam linguine, it took me a month before I could stomach up the courage to try again.  I'm very happy I did.

Start boiling your pasta.  Keep an eye on it; you want to remove it at about 90% cooked, so shave a few minutes off your regular time.

Prepare your clams.  I bought a prepackaged kind from Costco.  It had some seasonings in there already and I just had to microwave 5 minutes.

Make your sauce: choose a nice large pan.  It is going to hold both pasta and sauce.  Start browning some chopped onions at the bottom.  When they're about ready, add canned diced tomatoes, minced garlic, crushed red peppers, and the clams (with all their juice) on top of them.  Allow that to simmer and reduce while you wait for your pasta to cook.

Assembly: When the pasta is about 90% cooked, pull it out with some tongs and add it to the pan as well.  Continue to simmer until pasta is al dente.

Plating: top off with chopped basil.

Comments: 1) The clam water really elevates this dish.  By keeping it in the sauce, you get a fuller flavor that transforms the pasta into something special.
2) You know how Italian food makes great leftovers?  That's because of the extra time and cooking that melds all the flavors.  Thanks to Special K, I now always add the pasta to the sauce as the finishing step.
3) If you're using a nonstick pan, be gentle with the clamshells while mixing.  They could scratch up the coating.
4) A good pair of tongs is essential.  Get one with silicone tips so you can use it on every pan.  Lock the tongs together to push or stir; open them up when you need precision. They're so versatile that I find myself hand washing them to avoid dishwasher lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment