Friday, September 30, 2011

Mushroom Leek Sauce

Project: I wanted to learn how to prepare and use leeks. I also wanted to try making a sauce by deglazing a pan and reducing the wine.
My ingredients: Leeks, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, white wine, evaporated milk. Notice the parsley in water, thanks to Special K.

Flour and Susie Q on the chicken breasts.

First flip

Pull the chicken out, turn the heat up, add, in order, white wine, shallots and garlic, leeks, then mushrooms.

Reduce by simmering. Add parsley, salt, pepper. Spoon over chicken to serve.

Surprisingly, this was a pretty bland, watery sauce. Comments:
I suspect that I needed more salt, but I added a lot! Next time, I'll use chicken broth and reduce it longer. 
I'll slice the leek lengthwise  before chopping so that there aren't those concentric rings.
Evaporated milk gives a sweet taste and buttery aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment